Tuesday 26 April 2016

Penciled In

Meet today's card.

I had never tried a technique call Sketched Stamping before, so when I saw the challenge at Splitcoast I really wanted to give it a try.  The idea is to make any stamped image look as though it has been sketched with a pencil instead of stamped with ink.
Basically what you do is to faintly stamp an image.  You can do that by either using a very light stamp colour or by inking and stamping off on a scrap piece of paper.  Next, you take a pencil and sketch over the stamped image adding some shading and definition with the pencil marks. 

This is a new flower stamp I just bought by Local King and thought it would work perfectly for this technique because of the details and shading it has.
I faintly stamped it with grey Memento ink then penciled in over the faint image adding details and shading. I added some Antique Linen sponging to the center and around the edges for interest. I didn't have any graphite pencils to sketch with so just used a regular pencil.
The framing is done in a dark chocolate cs...had trouble getting a good photo of that, it looked black.
The sentiment is from Penny Black.


 Adding my card to these challenges:

Simon Says- MAKE IT GIRLIE

Crafty Boots- MONOCHROMATIC

Craft Your Passion- ANYTHING GOES

 Make My Monday- APRIL SHOWERS BRING MAY FLOWERS


I hope you get a chance to try out this technique.  I had fun doing it.
Thanks for coming by and taking a look.

Supplies:   stamps- Local King, Penny Black/ Memento ink/ pencil/ Distress ink/ Applicator tool

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool is this? Thanks for sharing another great idea!
Patti C from COS

Dee's Craft Room said...

Wow, what a stunning flower! Great card Karen. Thank you for sharing your work with all of us at Crafty Boots Challenges.

Dionne

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, what a beautiful card and a great technique, sweet friend! You really used a perfect flower for it! Hugs!

Lin said...

Lovely, Karen, what a neat technique! Thanks for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Jan Castle said...

Beautiful card Karen!!!!!
Paper Hugs,
Jan

Unknown said...

Just beautiful! I really want to try this soon. Thank you for sharing.

coldwaters2 said...

Beautiful card Karen I have never heard of this technique before but it looks amazing
hugs
lorraine x

A Place for Kia said...

This is really fabulous and such a different look Karen. You used the perfect image to show off the pencil technique. More things to try .... so fun!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wow! This is just wonderful and so very lovely. That was a great choice of image for that technique. I might have to try it myself soon. I just love this!

JD/ Jill said...

This turned out so beautiful! Great job with that technique! I saw it posted at split coast and wasn't sure what to do...You have now inspired me to give it a try.

shirley-bee said...

Absolutely stunning! I think I'll be trying this!

Ellibelle said...

What a great technique! And such a beautiful flower stamp!

Loll said...

This is awesome Karen. I've never heard of this technique and hope to give it a try. LOVE how yours turned out. You mastered it on your first try. Great job! xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

STUNNING!

Marina said...

Yes it does look sketched - great technique for a lovely card. Thank you for joining us at Make My Monday. Marina DT

Catie Cuddles said...

Such a beautiful effect. It works brilliantly in your card.
Thanks for joining us at Craft your passion challenges.
Happy crafting!
Catherine ( DT ) x

Mary Dew Lee said...

WOW! I can't wait to try this! My college aged daughters are always showing off their sketch book/journals. Serendipity has lots of images that would work great for this!

Bonnie said...

I love how this looks hand sketched! What a great technique!

Melissa L. said...

I like this technique, Karen. Beautiful. Thanks for sharing. :)

Anke said...

Wodnerful card, Karen. So lovely.

Hugs
Anke

maj. said...

You make wonderful cards Karen!!!!!

jessica - craftychicgirl said...

Love the technique used to create the flower!

Barb said...

Hi Karen, what a beautiful card. It's a very interesting technique and you've done a great job. Your flower really does looked sketched. I love your delicate colours too. Barbx

froebelsternchen said...

Fabulous technique - great card !
I am thrilled about it!
Happy weekend!
oxo Susi

Fliss said...

Really gorgeous card.
Thanks so much for sharing your creation with us at Make My Monday.
Fliss DT x