Sunday 2 July 2017

Spread Your Wings- CAS Watercolour Challenge

Meet today's card.

Time for another fun Cas Watercolour Challenge.
Got a good one this month, butterfly.

http://caswatercolour.blogspot.com/2017/07/cas-watercolour-july-challenge.html


Summer is upon us and the butterflies are beginning to emerge.
I began making my card by creating the background.  I did that by rubbing Distress inks onto my long acrylic block, sprayed with water and dragged it down the front of my cardstock.  I used heavy white cardstock instead of watercolor paper so the ink will sit just on the surface and not soak in and you will be able to drag the ink.
*The trick is to drag and not press in one place*
I repeated that using a few different shades of blue, leaving some white space showing and then set it aside to dry.
I die-cut the butterfly using the Tim Holtz Detailed Butterfly die onto heavy white cardstock.  
To add more interest to my background, I used a piece of drywall tape and stenciled on some more Distress ink.
I glued the butterfly over the bkg., added the black gems to create the body of the butterfly, then used a fine line black marker to draw in the details .


Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.
Hope you will come and play along with us.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Simon Says Wed.- ANYTHING GOES
CASology- FLY
Scrap and Craft- SUMMERTIME AND BUTTERFLIES
Crafting With Friends- ANYTHING GOES


Supplies
Stamps- Favorite Memories (Technique Tues.)
Inks- Tuxedo Black Memento; Stormy Sky, Peacock Feathers; Salty Ocean,
Blueprint Sketch Distress (TH)
Paper- heavy white cs (local store)
Accessories and Tools- Misti; drywall tape; long acrylic block; die- Detailed Butterfly (TH);
black gems, fine line black marker

25 comments:

Gabi MeWi said...

Love the butterfly on the heavenly background.

Gabi MeWi said...

Love the butterfly on the heavenly background.

KarinsArtScrap said...

it's beautiful Karen

gr karin

Marilyn said...

This is so pretty! Love the colour and the butterfly against that gorgeous background.

Loll said...

I'm always in awe of your amazing backgrounds. Even more so with you using card stock and not watercolour paper. You have a special talent, my friend. Gorgeous card. xx

nancy littrell said...

Karen, Beautiful "dragged and not pressed" background for your gorgeous White die cut butterfly. Love how you went back and stenciled in your dry wall tape design. Adds so much interest. Wonderful sentiment...as always my friend. Hugs..

Christine Alexander said...

gorgeous background, I just love the texture the drywall tape added and I also like the effect of dragging the block over the paper. The white butterfly is the perfect pop to the background.

Brawny x said...

Wow stunning card x

Bonnie said...

What a fantastic technique for this background, my friend! I need to try this. And that butterfly is beautiful!

Pat said...

What a wonderful butterfly Karen and the background looks great against the white butterfly and the black body and antenna work really well. I love the sentiment too. x

Joyce said...

Stunning background and that white butterfly really pops. Thanks so much for playing along at CASology this week.

Judy1223 said...

Oh, I do love this pretty blue watercolored background and that wonderful TT sentiment! So glad you joined us at CASology this week...butterflies definitley fit the cue!

aussie aNNie said...

Karen you sure inspire me along with your fab work. xx

Marlies said...

A gorgeous elegant card Karen! Marlies

Dortesjs said...

always in WAUE ;O)) of your gorgeous blue backgrounds again a very cool card from your hand ;O))

Aquarius said...

Wonderful background in lovely shades of blue - sets off the butterfly nicely

JosieD said...

Your backgrounds are so creative and eye-catching, Karen. I like using the Credit Card Swipe one and will definitely try this one, too. Thanks for the thorough how-to and tip -- helps a lot. Gorgeous card!!

Barb said...

A gorgeous card Karen. Loving your background. I bought some dry wall tape a few months ago and not used it yet. Must get it out after seeing your lovely card. Barbxx

Trina P. said...

Gorgeous card, Karen. The background is amazing and allows the butterfly to really pop.

Mac Mable said...

Great technique for the gorgeous background and love the die cut butterfly in white...thank you for the inspiration x Love that your CAS card has a mostly vibrant blue background x

CraftingMum said...

Lovely card thanks for sharing it with us at Crafting with Friends, Louise DT x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

FABULOUS, love it.
Faith
x

Papercraft Boutique said...

I love the beautiful shades of blue background, Karen! It looks like a waterfall, and the stenciling a nice touch. Thank you for sharing the technique (with your useful tips)! Hideko

Bobby said...

Had to try this right away, Karen, but it didn't work for me with regular cardstock. I had to use Mixed Media paper to get good results.

olushka-design.blogspot.com said...

So beautiful! Thank you from Scrap & Craft blog!