Saturday 24 February 2018

Paper Weaving

Good Morning and Happy Saturday.
Meet today's card.

Yesterday over at Splitcoast Stampers, one of the challenges was to use recycling on your card.  Today's Challenge was all about Antique Farmhouse which I absolutely love!! My love of antiques got me also thinking about the quilts I have collected over the years and from there, my card was created.

I loved doing paper weaving when I was a kid, so I decided to give it a go for my card front.
I began by finding an old magazine and cut some of the pages into 1/4" strips.
I lined up the first set of strips at the top of my card going down and glued them just at the very ends to help hold them in place.  Then I was ready to start weaving the other set of paper strips over and under the ones glued in place.
I think the colours and patterns made for a happy look.
I die-cut the large olive branch and glued that over the top.
That's it!



Hope you have a wonderful weekend and thanks so much for taking time to come and see what I have been up to.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Simon Says Wed.- MAKE YOUR OWN BKG
Simply Papercraft- ANYTHING GOES
A Bit More Time to Craft- ANYTHING GOES
2 Sisters on the Blog- A MAN'S CARD

Supplies
Stamps- none
Inks- none
Paper- heavy white (local store)
Accessories and Tools- old magazine; Large Olive Branch (Memory Box); Cuttlebug; Mono glue

26 comments:

Pat said...

What a super idea Karen using strips of a magazine to make this pretty multi coloured background, and the beautiful olive branch die in white really stands out against the busy background. I must give this a try. x

Annie said...

Paper weaving always attracts my attention but I haven’t tried it yet. My first thought was that you used cut up rejected backgrounds. So I was surprised to read “magazines”. Of course the papers would be thin and weave and blend well. Your card looks awesome. I love the white olive branch over the top. The contrast is terrific.

Capescrapper said...

What a fabulous way to create a background!

:) Thanks for sharing.

SD pooja said...

Wow.. So creative use of paper weaving for bg !

OH Babs said...

Karen this looks like such a fun project. I am part of a group of ladies and we number 5 - 16 for a class. It is up to each of us to teach a class a couple of times a year. This is something I will work on and then teach my friends. You always inspire me. Barbara

marilyn said...

How timely! I just spent a couple of day recycling old backgrounds by paper weaving and making mosaics with the strips. Really turned out nicely...even surprised me!

Susan said...

Karen, this is fabulous - so vibrant and colourful! And you've given me inspiration to use up some of my stash of dp that I rarely use these days - I'm going to try some paper weaving with it.

nancy littrell said...

Wow!! Your magazine strips of paper created a fabulously creative weaved background for your die cut flower. Really beautiful card my friend. Hugs..

cuilliesocks said...

Oh my, I love the colours and design Karen, a beautifully designed card, so very creative, Kate x x

Verna Angerhofer said...

That is a beautiful way to recycle and I love the end result of the background. Thanks for sharing this beauty!

Nicolette said...

A very nice card. But will you please link him by the right challenge?
Are you a follower yet? Please do if you aren't.
Nicolette DT 2Sistersontheblog

Bobby said...

Your a girl after my own heart, Karen. I too love antiques and have a collection of old, and some not so old, quilts. Your background looks just like a crazy quilt and I love it!

Ina G said...

Fabulous and full of colour Karen! Simply amazing result from scrap magazine strips.

Dortesjs said...

waue great happy paper weaving - keep up ;O)

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen wow what an amazing card,looks like lots of work in this one and it looks amazing,well done my friend xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW what an amazing result you created. AND it has given me an idea I need to do for a challenge, Thank you so much for this inspiration, with your FABULOUS card.
Faith
x

Bonnie said...

What a fantastic way to recycle a magazine, Karen! It looks like a well loved, applique quilt!

Lorraine said...

This is really cool.

papierelle said...

As children, we did something like that, but I would not have had the idea to use it as a background for a card. Awesome!!!

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is lovely Karen
Gr Karin

Caroline said...

Such a nice card. But will you please link him by the right challenge?
Are you a follower yet? Please do if you aren't.
Caroline DT 2Sistersontheblog

Mac Mable said...

Stunning effect and so very creative x

kiwimeskreations said...

What a stunning, and graphic card. Love the contrast between the bold graphic paper weaving and the stark white and gentle form of the olive branch die cut.
Blessings
Maxine

Brawny x said...

Great design Karen x

jenn shurkus said...

omgosh!!! this is awesome!!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

ElizStewart said...

Brillant idea!