Sunday 28 September 2014

Flutter


It's Sunday morning here...beautiful, sunny and warm and feeling inspired to make a card after seeing the challenge at Splitcoast this am.  I thought of butterflies for my card as we have been seeing so many at this time of the year.  There is something just magical about seeing a butterfly.  

I felt the need to play with inks and decided to try a technique I saw mentioned somewhere.  
I took a piece of watercolour paper, sprayed it with water then dripped drops of oil onto the paper.  I then took my Distress re-inkers (colours below) and dripped some of that saturated colour on top of the oily paper.  Since oil and water don't mix, I ended up with this unique and pretty background.
I cut a frame using  a square Spellbinders die and mounted the inked piece behind.
The butterfly from Hero Arts was stamped, coloured with Copics and then pop dotted onto my card front looking like it is ready to fly off the page.  It is hard to see in the photo, but the body of the butterfly has black pearls lining it.

 I am also adding my card to these challenges:

Simon Says- ANYTHING GOES

CASology- FLUTTER


 A Gem of a Challenge- CLEAN and SIMPLE

Sister Act- ANYTHING GOES

 

Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

 Supplies:  stamps- Technique Tues., Hero Arts/ Distress re-inkers:Salty Ocean, Peeled Paint, Shabby Shutters/ Spellbinders die/ pop dots/ oil/ Copic markers/ Memento Bl ink

18 comments:

Virginia L. said...

Gorgeous inking, Karen! I have missed seeing this HA butterfly...thanks for digging it out to play! I adore the colors so much! Enjoy your sunny Sunday (hope every day's weather is like TODAY'S!)! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Anything Goes” Challenge!

Sue said...

What a great card great inking Karen thanks for joining us at Sister Act Card Challenge..hugs Sue DT x

Loll said...

Hi Karen. LOVE the background - such gorgeous colors! Have not heard of the technique before --- must give it a try - makes a fabulous background to show off your beautiful butterfly. Amazing card as always!! Loll xx

Unknown said...

Beautiful card Karen, I'll have to give that technique a try. Karen x

Bobby said...

Lovely butterfly card, Karen.

Barb Ghig said...

Your background is absolutely beautiful, Karen! I love how you colored the butterfly, too! Very striking work of art!
Thanks so much for playing along with us at ATSM this week!

wienerhoneymooners said...

Oh I ADORE to see The Elegant Artist Karen Dunbrook at CASology, YAY...!!!!

The butterfly with subtle changes in color, the background so wonderfully blended and flowing with luscious colors, OH MY, LOVE BLUE!!!! And your FRAME, makes me want to MAKE one too...So Inspirational, we are lucky to have you join us, and I GREATLY appreciate it Karen!!! This is TOOOOO YUMMMMY for words... But I am going on about it aren't I?!!!! I MUST... I LOVE it... The black sentiment and enamel accent dots just send me over the moon!!!!!
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE x a trillion! Thanks Karen for sharing at CASology!!!

Nora Noll said...

WOW!!! I LOVE this card. Your butterfly is gorgeous and that background behind the sentiment is just stunning. What a great sentiment!! Fabulous take on the challenge!!

joy said...

SO beautiful, Karen! Never heard of that background technique; must give it a try. The sentiment is such a good one and I love that butterfly.

Judy1223 said...

Karen, that deep blue is so stunning, especially framed in white. Just gorgeous! Thanks for joining us this week at CASology!

Jen W. said...

I love the gorgeous background you created, Karen, and the sentiment is lovely. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

Pamellia said...

This is really beautiful Karen! Love the gorgeous colours and your background is amazing! Stunning butterfly too! hugs :)

Gibmiss said...

Hi Karen
Love your card... Fabulous background....
Hugs Sylvie xx

Lee-Anne said...

Wow...love that background, Karen! Must try that technique! As always...a stunning design!

Kylie said...

The background is amazing! What a terrific technique. I always love seeing what you will come up with, Karen. Thanks so much for playing along at ATSM xx

jenn shurkus said...

wow! this is so pretty!! love the white frame making all the colors really POP!

jenn shurkus said...

p.s. :) thank you for playing a long with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!!

Deepti said...

Wow incredible beauty !!! Love love love this card :)