Friday 2 December 2016

CAS Watercolour Challenge- Resist

Hello and welcome.
Taking a break from making Christmas cards today.

It's time for another fun challenge at CAS Watercolour Challenge.
This month our challenge is Watercolour Resist.

 http://caswatercolour.blogspot.com/2016/12/cas-watercolour-december-challenge.html




I began making my card by splattering some masking fluid all over the front of my white cardstock.  That will become the resist technique I will use on my card.
You will need to set it aside to dry as it takes a little while to be ready to use.

When dry, I placed my PB flower called The Unfolding inside my MISTI, coloured with Memento markers, sprayed with water and stamped.  
I always start with the lightest shades first and then add darker shades as I repeat the above process...so easy to do when using the Misti.  I let the piece dry a bit then inked up my stamp with Versamark ink and clear heat embossed the image.  That also helped to work as a resist when I watercoloured the background.  
* Be sure to remove any masking fluid from your stamped image before heat embossing but not from the background.

I watercoloured the background using Distress Stains and water, trying to concentrate more colour around the flower and floating a weaker shade of the colour as I moved away from the image.
You can see how the masking fluid resists the ink and leaves the white spots.
I rubbed off the masking fluid and stamped the sentiment from the PB Sentiment Collection.
I did add a bit of stenciling with drywall tape to finish it all off.



Adding my card to these challenges:

Simon Says- ANYTHING GOES

Addicted to Stamps and More- MAKE YOUR MARK

Simply Papercraft- ANYTHING GOES


Please come and play along with us.  We would love to see your wonderful creations...always a thrill for us.


Supplies:  stamps- Penny Black/ Masking Fluid/ ink- Memento/ Distress Stain/ paint brush/ drywall tape/ clear eb powder/ MISTI

19 comments:

nancy littrell said...

Karen, Your masking fluid and clear Heat Embossing techniques worked beautifully for your EB resist techniques. I love how you added a little stenciling to your watercolor wash for added texture and interest. Every detail is perfect my friend. TFS all your steps. Hugs, Nancy

Harriet Skelly said...

Wow I love the techniques you used to create this gorgeous card! I love all of the texture here.

Susan said...

Great idea to go back and add clear embossing powder to your flower before doing the background wash! I'll try that! Love the vibrancy of the red against the pale blue, and love the use of the drywall tape stencilling for added interest to the background.

Loll said...

This is STUNNING!! I have not tried the masking fluid resist, but now I need to get on that! This is truly amazing because of your amazing artistic abilities Karen. And the colours work so beatifully together. Love the bit of stenciling to add in a whole other design feature. xx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

STUNNING, LOVE the colours.
faith
x

Karren said...

Absolutely gorgeous! The look of the flower is amazing!

Lisa Lara said...

Crazy awesome Karen.

coldwaters2 said...

Wow this is yet another quite simply beautiful creation Karen, I love it
hugs
lorraine x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Gorgeous design and love the colors.

Bonnie said...

I LOVE this bright and gorgeous card, Karen! The masking fluid resist adds such a nice texture to the piece and I love the red and blue together! The stenciling in the backgrounds adds even more interest! Awesome, my friend!

Ina G said...

Wow Karen! I love visiting your blog as there is ALWAYS something beautiful to behold. You have the most beautiful PB stamps and produce such masterpieces with them. This one is another 'stunner'

CherylQuilts said...

WOW! Karen, this is GORGEOUS! I absolutely love this one and need to try this technique! The colors are amazing, and I love how this flower looks like a poinsettia! Stunning, and I love it!! Hugs! xoxo

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Your cards always have such great flow to them. You use resist yet it is subtle and blends in so nicely, no harshness!

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at ATSM, good luck!!! Amy DT

Rema DeLeeuw said...

Beautiful!Thanks for playing along at ATSM.

jenn shurkus said...

beautiful watercoloring!! thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge!

Deepti said...

You always make the prettiest of the cards :) So happy to be the Guest designer at CAS watercolor challenge

Unknown said...

UFC 207

UFC 207 live

UFC 207

UFC 207 live

UFC 207 live

UFC 207 live Streaming

UFC 207 live Free Stream

Watch UFC 207

Watch UFC 207 live

UFC 207 Fight Card

Ronda Rousey vs Amanda Nunes live

Nunes vs Rousey live

Rousey vs Nunes live Streaming

UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey live

Anke said...

WOW WOW WOW absolutely stunning, I love your card.

Hugs
Anke