Sunday 18 June 2017

Dad's Day


Happy Father's Day!
Celebrating with this card for my husband and the fun of trying a new technique.
The technique I used on this masculine card is called 

For this technique, you first lay a stencil over your paper.  They suggest using watercolour paper but I just used a heavy weight cardstock for mine.  Next, spray your paper with water then using a piece of sandpaper, rub the sharpened tip of a watercolour pencil over the sandpaper above the open areas of the stencil.  It will drop shavings from your pencil into the wet paper and leave you with wonderful blend of colour.  I used a stencil that was tiny so not all the open areas got colour on them but when I lifted up my stencil, I noticed there was still a lot of colour left on the top so I gave it a quick spray of water, turned it over and pressed that onto my paper creating a Monoprint with the stencil.
(STENCIL MONOPRINTING is when the stencil is inked, sprayed with water and pressed onto the paper)
Great....2 techniques with one process!!  Gotta love that.

When that was all dry, I stamped the clock face and the sentiment using Memento black and clear heat embossed it.  I added a small black gem to the center of the clock face for interest.
I sponged the edges of my piece with Distress inks to help pull all the colour together.


Thanks so very much for coming by and taking a look.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Simon Says Wed.- EMBOSS

HLS June CAS Challenge- SMOOSHING
(I smooshed my stencil onto my paper)

Open Minded Crafting Fun- JUST ABOUT TIME

Monochrome Magic- ANYTHING GOES


Supplies
Stamps- Weathered Clock (Hampton Arts); By the Sea 2 (Gina K)
Inks- Tuxedo Black Memento; Prismacolor Pencils
Paper- heavy white cs (local store)
Accessories and Tools- Mini Tile  Texture (TCW); clear EB powder; black gem; heat tool,
sandpaper, mister (TH)

35 comments:

Aquarius said...

Another great technique to try - looks really good

Bonnie said...

Love this, Karen! The two techniques blend together so seamlessly!

Dortesjs said...

aww this card is fab. love your always great blue colours..

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wonderfully done and of course, the colors are awesome as usual!

Susan said...

Love the way you used the sanded pencil technique and combined it with a monoprint! Great design for a masculine card!

KarinsArtScrap said...

fantastic father;s day card Karen
Gr Karin

Sue Lelli said...

GORGEOUS colors and FAB technique! I may have to try that! LOVE this card!

nancy littrell said...

Love your new technique..reminds me of using powdered pigments...cool! How fun to add your monoprint image with the leftover ink. You just discovered a new technique my friend. TFS and I am sure your DH will love his Father's Day card. Have a wonderful day my friend Hugs..

Lisa J said...

I love this. Your cards are always so inspiring! Thanks for playing along with me this month. Lisa Monochrome Magic

Loll said...

Fantastic technique ... great way to get the look of Brushos without having to buy them. So clever. Your design is amazing, Karen. You always make the most beautiful and artistic cards. Have a great Sunday! xx

Carol L said...

This is one amazing father's day card! TFS how you created it too! WOW!!

Pawsitively Creative said...

A twofer is always good to have! Great design and the look of this fantabulous technique is awesome sauce. I bet he loved this card!

Mac Mable said...

I always learn something when I pop into your blog and today is no exception...Thank you. I am a technique girl so always up for learning x Your card is so artsy and creative and I love it! x

aussie aNNie said...

Karen, love love love your blog, your techniques and I really thank you. I have been loving trying out different things and it has taken me away from the mundane work of always colouring images for DT.. Love your 'drip' effect below as well and once my house work is done I am going to play today. Been wet and cold here in Australia but nice to just sit in my craft room and play...thanks again...hugs.xx [aNNie]

Gabi MeWi said...

Gorgeous male-card.And I love working with Brushos.

Gabi MeWi said...

Gorgeous male-card.And I love working with Brushos.

Pat said...

This works really well as a Father's Day card Karen and using those fabulous blue tones which you do so well. I love the clock face and the monoprinting looks fabulous. x

shirley-bee said...

Fabulous technique, Karen!

Virginia L. said...

thanks for the eye candy, Karen! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Emboss It” Challenge! Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

Kia's Place said...

Wonderful Karen. It looks like a fun technique to try, thanks for sharing.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I am always amazed with your "art" so very beautiful.
Faith
x

Tracy Freeman said...

Brilliant card and love the effect, really striking card.
Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge x

Barb said...

This really is a beautiful card Karen. What a great technique. Thank you for sharing. Barbxx

Annick said...

Nice background technique AND learned a new technique !Thanks !

Princess Judy Palmer said...

That's an interesting technique. It took me a bit to catch on that you were talking colored pencils. I wondered how your average office pencil could make such a wonderful creation. Yes, I am that slow sometimes.

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous card love the techniques have used the stencil monoprintingtechnique a couple of times and now I know what they call it lol
Carol x

Sarn said...

Good Golly Miss Molly . .. what a fantastic Father's Day card. Great technique and super result.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Sazzle Dazzle said...

Fabulous smooshing detail, fun and sketchy images and thanks for joining us at HLS CAS challenge this month

Viv said...

Fab card Karen and such clever ideas for water colouring too, must give it a go sometime ;) hugs Viv xx

Craftychris said...

Such cool techniques and a stunning card! Your husband must have loved it! xxx

Papercraft Boutique said...

I LOVE the background texture (sandpaper) and the various shades of blues! So beautiful! Hideko

Linda said...

Love this .... fab technique and great colours. Thanks for playing along with the Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge xx

Annie said...

Another card I love. This is a very interesting technique. I love how it looks.

Bobby said...

You know about the best techniques, Karen. This looks wonderful.

Lynn (aka Lynnpenguin) said...

Great card. Thanks for joining us for out "Just about Time" challenge at Open-Minded Crafting Fun. Good Luck.
Lynn aka Lynnpenguin, OMCF DT