Saturday 29 May 2021

Big Hugs

 


Happy Saturday!
As some of you know, I have been playing around with a salad spinner and my Ranger Alcohol inks.
It is a super fun technique to try with lots of possibilities.
I also just got this new die from Lawn Fawn and wanted to try and use it on my card.

So here's what I did to create my card.....I've included a little video as well so you can see what I did.

I got my salad spinner at the Dollarama Store for $4.
  • I began by cutting a piece of Yupo paper 3 3/4" x 5".  For those of you that don't know what Yupo is, it is a plastic coated paper used with Alcohol inks.  The ink sits on the surface of the paper and doesn't soak in.  That way, you are able to move the inks around and they dry super quick too.

These are some of the backgrounds I created with this technique.  As you can see, I ended up using the one on the bottom left.
  • I placed the piece of Yupo paper inside the bottom of the salad spinner.  My spinner has open areas on the sides so my paper just fit in there perfectly.  You could also secure it with a piece of tape if needed.
  • I dropped some Ranger Alcohol ink onto the Yupo paper, sprayed with some Rubbing Alcohol and placed the lid on top. 
CAUTION!!
Do not spray Ranger Blending Solution as it is a resin and is harmful if inhaled.  
My Rubbing Alcohol came in a spray bottle and is ok to spray.  
I did use some Blending Solution on the red and green sample above, but I just dropped some on the paper instead of spraying it on.

  • After securing the lid, I spun away.  The fun part is opening the lid....a different surprise every time! If you are not happy with how your print has turned out, just add more rubbing alcohol or drop on some Blending Solution and spin again.  You will get different results depending on what you are using to blend with.


  • When I was happy with the inking, I set it aside to dry.
  • I took out the newly released die called Sending Big Hugs and die-cut it out 3 times.  
  • Since I thought using the whole die cut on my card panel covered up too much, I altered it by cutting off the 'sending' part of the die.
  • I glued them all on top of each other so they would be raised on the surface of my card.
  • I wanted to add a bit of colour to the die, so I inked it up along the bottom edges using some Tumbled Glass and some Salty Ocean Distress Oxide inks and a finger dabber.
  • I glued the Yupo paper onto a piece of white cardstock, then onto a white card base.  
  • I pop dotted the sentiment over the background and then added a matching blue button over the 'i'.


If you are interested, I previously posted 2 other cards showing this technique.

Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look
Have a great weekend.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Simon Says Wed.- ANYTHING GOES
Send A Smile 4 Kids- CARDS FOR DADS


Supplies
Stamps- none
Inks- Distress Oxides (listed above); Alcohol inks
Paper- Yupo, heavy white (Scribes Nook-Waterloo, Ontario)
Accessories and Tools- salad spinner, Ranger Blending Solution, Rubbing Alcohol, die- Lawn Fawn, pop dots

15 comments:

Glennis F said...

Salad spinning has a lovely result - different each time. Love your card Karen, the colours are so pretty

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Stunning. Love your salad spinner alcohol ink idea! Wonderful colour combinations.

Pat said...

More wonderful spinning and love the blue and green tones of AI's Karen, and the large die cut sentiment with the ombre look works beautifully with it, and love the added enamel dot for the'i'. x

Sarn said...

LOVE this card. Thanks for sharing the video too. X

Christine Alexander said...

love the effect of the ink flow in your spinner cards :)

Susan said...

Beautiful blue and green! Making a big note to myself to go to the dollar store for a salad spinner!

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love all the beautiful backgrounds and that card is so well designed with the big sentiment.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I think the spinner is the most fun idea I've come across in a long while and you have gorgeous results with it Kate. A Super card.
Faith x

I Card Everyone said...

Karen if only tie-dyed t-shirts were this easy!! I love your fantastic crafty craze! The results are so cool, and I love those BIG HUGS, too!
Thanks for the video!
=]

cuilliesocks said...

What a super technique Karen, it's a gorgeous card, with brilliant colours, Kate x

Loll said...

Gorgeous AI backgrounds Karen. I had heard of using a salad spinner before, but I think it as with dye inks. The AI inks are amazing! Will have to give this a try! Fabulous card with the large ombre sentiment! xx

Bonnie said...

Wow! This is a BIG HUG and another fantastic background, Karen! I love how the sentiment is inked too!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Amazeballs! My favorite one yet, xoxo

aussie aNNie said...

Fabulous effect Karen and love your 'how to' I need to get a cheap salad spinner to try this.

Jennifer Fountain said...

Great technique! So fun and not nearly as messy as the traditional method. Thanks for sharing!