Tuesday 4 April 2017

Sketch- The Flower Challenge


Good Morning.

It's been great to feel a touch of Spring in the air.  
Time for another challenge at 
This month we are creating cards based on a great sketch.



I began by masking the top portion of my card and then stamped this great poppy from an Altenew set onto my heavy white cardstock.  Then, using a Versamark pen, I colored in just the bottom 2 flowers and clear heat embossed them.  I did that so when I applied the blue inked background, I could keep those flowers totally white.
Next, leaving the mask in place, I sponged the card front using Distress inks.
When I was happy with the way the sponging looked, I used an iron to remove the embossing on the bottom flowers to reveal totally white flowers.
I removed the mask I had placed along the top portion of my card and scored some lines to define the area using my ScorPal and my ScorBug.
I stamped the poppy head again on another piece of card, watercolored it using my Zigs then punched out the circle so I could pop dot it over the first stamped poppy impression as per the sketch.
Lastly, I splashed some water on the background to lift a bit of the colour and then I added some Nuvo Drops to look like the morning dew.



Adding my card to these challenges:

Simon Says Wed- ANYTHING GOES

Crafty Cardmakers- SPRING INTO SPRING

AAA Cards CAS- SHINY SPRING
(shiny Nuvo drops)

 Sweet Stampers- SPRING OR EASTER


Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

Supplies
 Stamps- Painted Poppy (Altenew), Everyday Greetings (Mama Elephant)
Paper- heavy white card (bulk, local store)
Inks- Distress:Peacock Feathers, Salty Ocean, Chipped Sapphire (TH), Versamark, Memento
Accessories and Tools- Misti, ScorPal, ScorBug, iron, clear eb powder, heat gun, Nuvo, Zigs,
 circle punch, paint brush

34 comments:

Donna said...

Absolutely beautiful. Stunning depth of colour on that super gorgeous background, Karen. x

froebelsternchen said...

Utterly BEAUTIFUL!
Amazing!
oxo
FROEBELSTERNCHEN
ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY-CHALLENGE
MOO-MANIA & MORE -CHALLENGE

AJ Bodine said...

Oh this is beautiful! You've made this sketch pop!

SD pooja said...

Its a beautiful card design !

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wow! this is fantastic! So gorgeous in every way. Great sketch layout and wonderful coloring.

Susan said...

What a lovely way to interpret the sketch - love having just part of the image in the circle and having it so brightly coloured. Great idea to heat emboss the white flowers to resist the blue sponging and then iron it to remove the embossing powder. I've heard of doing that but have never tried it - you've inspired me to give it a go.

Mac Mable said...

Glorious card...love the colours and how you've just coloured in the one flower....stunning! x

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This is a very lovely card and I enjoyed hearing how it got made.

Bonnie said...

I love this sketch and how you've used it, Karen! That's a beautiful poppy in white and in red and so pretty against the blue background! Love the added texture and contrast of the scored white strip!

Kuni said...

Your card is fabulous.
Thank you for joining us at the Sweet Stampers Challenge and i hope to see you again.
Hugs
Kuni

JenniferE said...

So pretty! Love the different shades of colors and the water drops on the blue. Just fantastic!

sandie said...

This is gorgeous Karen, such wonderful detail. I love the spotlight stamping. Great to see you at AAA

Ina G said...

Another stunning card Karen. Gorgeous colours and the effect you achieved with masking the heat embossing then the ironing to show those 2 white flowers - fantastic!

Jac’s Playground said...

This is really gorgeous, love the way that the poppy really pops, thanks for joining us at Crafty Catz this week, Jac x

Lin said...

Love that pop of red, Karen, and this is a fun sketch, too! Thanks for sharing your card with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Pat said...

I love your take on the sketch Karen with the one coloured poppy flower in the circle and the embossing on the white strip makes it stand out beautifully, and what a fabulous blue blended ink background and the water splashing bleached effect and the Nuvo drops are great finishing touches. x

Christine Alexander said...

beautiful card Karen and awesome job with the clear embossing to keep the flowers white. I love the gorgeous blue backdrop for your flowers.

Jules said...

Hi Karen

This is so very beautiful!!

I love your background very much .. .. and the pop of red from your poppy makes for a fabulous focal point. Love it very much!!

I hope all is well with you.

Love Jules xx

Loll said...

Love your interpretation of the sketch Karen. This is such a fantastic design. LOVE the colour combo too, and the spotlighting of the top poppy. xx

Ceal said...

so pretty! love the background, thanks for sharing with us at AAA Cards!

Maria Rodriguez. said...

Karen, love the spotlighting of this gorgeous poppy against that beautifully sponged blue background.
Awesome take on the sketch.
Hugs,
Maria.

Karren said...

Wow, this is gorgeous, Karen! The background, the spotlighting, the coloring, the masking are all fabulous and work beautifully together.

papierelle said...

Poppies are among my favorite flowers and your card from now on to my favorite cards.

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! This is just gorgeous!! Wonderful take on the sketch and brilliant spotlighting. Fantastic colouring too. Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers. x

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

GORGEOUS interpretation of the sketch another FABULOUS card from you.
Faith
x

Marina said...

Great splash of red- you really are skilled with colour.

Marcia said...

I love this card!! I've left this tab open on my desktop for several days now and keep looking at. So many wonderful elements - the dry embossing, the pop of poppy color, the beautiful blue background. Great inspiration!!

Aileen said...

I love how you have used this flower stamp, the circle with the red flower on it so highlights the stamped image. Beautiful

Marcia said...

I was wondering how do you keep track of all the different challenges? And how do you find them to begin with? I'm always amazed at all the challenges you are aware of!!

Pam said...

Love your design. The pop of red is beautiful and love the dew drops. An overall lovely card. Thank you for sharing with us this time at Crafty Cardmakers.
:) Pam

Dreja said...

Ganz zauberhaft. Danke für deine Teilnahme bei den Sweet Stampers.
LG Dreja

Ruth said...

Love it! Love it! I love the use of Versamark Pen - I bought one ages ago and have never used it for something like this. It's a great idea. I also love the spoltlight on the main poppy, but it's that blue background that is really beautiful. xx

Bobby said...

I love that you spotlighted that lovely poppy, Karen, and the inking is fabulous.

Viv said...

Wow you've done it again mf, another amazing creation. Just love that stunning blue bg and the poppies just jump off the page too.;) hugs Viv xx