Sunday 14 April 2019

Note Card and a Short Pictorial

Hello and Welcome
I was playing with some more of the HP Photo Paper I got from a friend and my Distress Oxide inks and remembered this time to take pictures of the process so you could give it a try.
It is easy and fun to do.  As you apply inks, you are left with a chalky looking piece until you wipe it all down with a baby wipe and the magic appears.  The colours become brighter and more vibrant.
From what I have read, this only works if you use the Distress Oxide inks because of their unique properties.

So here we go....hope you enjoy will give it a try.


STEP #1

Here is how I began.
 On the left hand side you will see the piece of photo paper I used. 
On the right is a piece of acetate that I inked directly with my Blueprint Sketch DOX ink and gave it a spray of water.


STEP #2

I took the inked piece of acetate and pressed it directly onto my photo paper.


STEP #3

I repeated that process again but this time adding some Peacock Feathers DOX ink.


STEP #4

I kept building the layers of colours by adding some Lucky Clover and Bundled Sage DOX.


STEP #5

When it was dry, I stamped some Graffiti down the left hand side using more Blueprint Sketch DOX.
You can still see how chalky the piece looks.


STEP #6

Ok, here comes the fun part.  
Take a baby wipe and wipe off the whole piece and watch the colours emerge.

I cut the piece down to use for my card as I decided to make a note sized card.  I'll keep the other half for another time.  
To complete my card, I die-cut the Olive Branch and glued that onto the front and stamped the sentiment using my Misti and some Memento ink.



I hope you enjoyed this short pictorial and thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Seize the Birthday- ANYTHING GOES
The Male Room- SPRING
Craft Stamper Magazine- ANYTHING STAMPED GOES
Simon Says Wed.- NO DESIGNER PAPER


Supplies
Stamps- Graffiti (Kaisercraft); Bright Idea (Technique Tues.)
Paper- HP Photo; heavy white (Scribes Nook)
Inks- Blueprint Sketch, Peacock Feathers, Lucky Clover, Bundled Sage DOX (TH);
Tuxedo Black Memento
Accessories and Tools- Olive Branch die (Poppy Stamps), Misti, baby wipes;
acetate sheet; Cuttlebug; Tombow Aqua glue



31 comments:

Viv said...

I have lots of photo paper that I no longer use having progressed to Yupo for my AI's. Thanks so much for sharing this Karen, I will try it.
It's a great card too!

SD pooja said...

Wow.. looks awesome ! Thanks for sharing the steps.

Viv said...

Another super card Karen and great to see how you make your amazing backgrounds too...just fabulous ;) hugs Viv xx

Verna Angerhofer said...

Cool card and I love that you used the photo paper. I don't have those inks you used but I do have some of the photo paper. After Easter if I remember ??? I might give that a try too.

I Card Everyone said...

Karen, I just love your lesson today... now to give it a try! Who prints their photos these days? LOve your finished card!
=]
p.s. how was Scrapfest??

Donna Ellis said...

Karen, thank you so much for documenting the steps! Looks like a fun technique and creates a vibrant, festive background! THANK YOU for sharing this beautiful creation. Hugs, de
{Creative Smiles - my little crafting world}

Susan said...

Fabulous tutorial, Karen. I'll definitely give it a try. Love the blend of colours you used and the extra interest you added with the graffiti stamp. A good way to use up some photo paper!

Evelyn S. said...

Wow~ I just happen to have HP photo paper and some oxide inks! I'll definitely try this. Thanks for the tutorial.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! I will have to get some inks to try this technique, but you say you wipe the paper with a baby wipe, I would have thought they smudged, but yours don't look like they have, it is a wonderful piece and love your finished result.
Faith x

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous, amazing stamping and wonderful colouring, Kate x x

Pat said...

Beautiful mix of colours Karen and love the added stamping and then 'wow' what a difference when you use a baby wipe over the top. I do have some photo paper so will give this a go. x

Pam said...

Fabulous! Thanks for pictures of the process. I think I need to try this.

nancy littrell said...

Thank you Karen for sharing your Photo paper and Distress Oxide Inks smooshing and then swiping off the chalky film with a baby wipe:-) Your photos really showed off your steps. I have been playing with the technique also, but used SU Glossy paper because I did not have any photo paper...worked great too. You will see cards I made in the near future. I love your color choices, stamping and die cut olive branches. Gorgeous finished card, my friend. Hugs..Nancy

Christine Alexander said...

Such a fun technique. I love the card and that graffiti stamp is so cool, I'm so upset it's retired.

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow, what a transformation once the ink was wiped over - and the gorgeous card as a result Karen - thanks for sharing. Did you dry the layers between applying them?
Blessings
Maxine

Carolyn L said...

Karen, I tried this great technique yesterday...Thanks Much for the inspiration! I used Canon, Kodak, hP, and Dollar $tore papers with no difference in results. Also, I used my cotton blotting cloth (still damp) to polish the finished product. Made subtle panels , some mono neutrals and then strong, vibrant color combinations for these card backups. Truly fell in love with my Oxides which hadn't been true previously.
One day I might even try housework........

Linby said...

Looks like you had fun. The result is such a vibrant background - love it.
Thanks for sharing with us at The Male Room.
Linby x
DT

Loll said...

Fantastic note card Karen. Thanks for the pictorial tutorial ... great work! Love the beautiful mix of colours and stamping! xx

Bonnie said...

Beautiful, Karen! It's so much fun to wipe and let that color pop! Beautiful mix of colors and the olive branch is a wonderful contrast! Thanks for the pictorial!

Lin said...

Love this mix of peacock and blueprint sketch, Karen - I could pick your cards out anywhere, love your style! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Mac Mable said...

I so enjoyed the step by step....Thank you. The notelet looks fabulous, full of colour and a striking colour combination. Wow too, to the amazing technique x.

Bobby said...

I knew I should have picked up some baby wipes at the store today. I don't usually use them but would buy them for this technique. Thanks for sharing the step by step, Karen. The end results are wonderful.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Sorry for the delay in getting here from TMR, life got in the way! I'm so happy to repeat your card and the result of your stamping is Superb.

Thank you so much for joining us in our Spring challenge at The Male Room this week. Looking forward to see you again next challenge.

Faith The Male Room DT
Daffodil Cards {My Blog}

The Male Room
themaleroomchallengeblog.blogspot.co.uk

Dotty Jo said...

Stunning as always! Jo x

Lady Joyful said...

Fantastic design! I love the background. Thank you for joining us at The Male Room - Charlotte/Lady Joyful, DT

Misty Elam said...

Such a beautiful card and fun technique. I always forget about glossy paper... I love the white branch against the colorful background.
Thanks so much for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge. I hope you’ll join us again soon.
Misty

Teri S. said...

Yay Karen! I am so happy to see something I can use the photo paper I have that I no longer use. I thank you so much for showing step by step instructions that even I can understand. lol Love those blues!

Cathy said...

Fantastic card Karen, awesome technique, TFS the process, Cathy x

Linda said...

This looks amazing ..... great step by steps. Must give this a try. Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

shirley-bee said...

Fabulous results, Karen! Thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It, Make It :)

Mischelle Smith said...

I just found your blog ? on Splitcoaster. What a super technique you have. Signing up for it.
Thanks
Mischelle