Sunday 30 August 2020

Trace Your Stencil


Hello and Welcome.
It's my turn to host the TLC (Technique Lovers Challenge) over at Splitcoast Stampers this week.
So many of us are working on getting cards made to enter the Dare to Get Dirty Event, held each year for all the members there. 
I thought I would keep the challenge really simple and fun.
So my challenge will be 
Trace Your Stencil

So here's what I did to create my card.
  • I began with a piece of heavy white cardstock and a stencil from The Crafter's Workshop called Mini Joyful Sunflower.
  • I rubbed some Wilted Violet, Salty Ocean and some Blueprint Sketch on the back of my stencil, sprayed with water and pressed onto my card base creating a monoprint.  Remove the inky stencil soon after pressing it onto your paper or the ink may seep under the stencil.
  • I set the piece aside to dry completely before doing the next step.
  • When the piece was dry, I was left with a lovely print of the flower.
  • Using a black Signo pen, I traced around the inked outlines of the flower, giving it more of a defined presence and making the stenciled bkg look a bit different. *For more detailed stencils, lay the stencil back over the pattern and trace inside the stencil.
  • I splattered using my black Posca pen for interest.
  • Using a Spellbinder square die, I cut a frame to place over the flower image using pop dots.
  • I chose not to add a sentiment so I can use this card for so many different occasions.

Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Simon Says Wed.- ANYTHING GOES
My Time to Craft- CLEAN AND SIMPLE
Krafty Chicks- ALL OCCASIONS


Supplies
Stamps- none
Inks- Distress Oxides
Paper- heavy white (Scribes Nook)
Accessories and Tools- Stencil (TCW); mister (TH); Signo #1 pen; Spellbinder Square die;
pop dots

17 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

oooh love this Karen, so CAS and love the monochrome colour palate :)

Claire (Mrs H) said...

Love this it looks amazing
Claire Mrs H's Crafty Corner

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Love how you coloured the negative ... so effective.

Annie said...

Karen, what a great technique this turns out to be! I’ve never seen or heard of anyone using a stencil that way. Very cool and your card looks awesome. Another Karen taught technique I need to try!

Lori m said...

Gorgeous, love the framed card style, hugs, Lori m

Pat said...

A gorgeous stencil monoprint and tracing over it really makes it pop Karen. I love the look of that stencil and will be looking out for that one. x

I Card Everyone said...

You sure do have a fabulous style all your own, Karen... I'd know a Snippets card from a border away!
Gorgeous!!
=]

CherylQuilts said...

Oh my, Karen, this is absolutely stunning! What a gorgeous and elegant card it makes. The simple white frame is perfect to set off this beautiful image. I really love how you traced around the inked outlines of the flower. Totally classy. Hugs and love, my friend! It's been a long time, and I pray you and your fellas are doing well. xoxo

Sue P said...

Karen, what a great technique. Now to find a stencil in my stash. Thank you for sharing. Always love your posts.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Wow Karen, this is beautiful!!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful design and great way to use the stencil.

Bonnie said...

I love this sunflower with the blue and violet ink, Karen! The wide white border makes it so crisp and pretty!

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous colors for your monoprint stenciled sunflower, Karen. Love how you traced your image to make it pop, too. TFS your description and Beautiful card. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Nance said...

Gorgeous card! I love that sunflower stencil and love your technique you used with it. Glad you joined us this week at Krafty Chicks Challenge.

Loll said...

Awecome card Karen. Your stencil monoprint is so clean and sharp. The outlining makes the design pop. xx

Samistic Designs said...


Karen - I love your stencil monoprint it is great. But What does bkg stand for?

Using a black Signo pen, I traced around the inked outlines of the flower, giving it more of a defined presence and making the stenciled bkg look a bit different. *For more detailed stencils, lay the stencil back over the pattern and trace inside the stencil.

Bobby said...

The design really pops when you outline it, Karen. This is a showstopper.