Sunday 16 July 2017

Painted Butterfly- CAS Watercolour Challenge

Meet my painted butterfly.
It's time for another card for the
CAS Watercolour Challenge.


Such a good theme for summer so come play along with us.
So onto my card.

It's been quite awhile since I had a chance to play with my Brushos, so I decided to pull them out and use them on my card.  For those of you that are unfamiliar with Brushos, they are a concentrated paint pigment that is activated when water is added.
(I did a tutorial about Painting Your Stamps last year if you want to check it out!)

So, I placed the Soft Wings butterfly from Penny Black into my Misti then painted on some Brushos I diluted with water using a paintbrush.  I find the trick is not to add too much water or you will end up with a muddy mess.  I started with the green on the bottom first, then cleaned my brush thoroughly and went on to paint the top with the blue.  I love the handpainted look the brushos gave to the butterfly.
To bring attention to the butterfly, I pierced a border around it.  This is a great way to add interest to an otherwise clean and simple card with adding embellishments.
I stamped the birthday sentiment using the PB Friendship set then drew in a black line using a fine tip blackliner marker.  I found that helped to ground the sentiment so it didn't look like it was floating.


Thanks again so very much for coming by and taking a look!


Adding my card to these challenges:

Addicted to CAS- SUMMER
CAS on Sunday- PRIMARY COLORS
Penny Black and More- FOR THE BOYS
Alphabet Challenge- 'I" FOR INSECT
Watercooler Wed.- ALL ABOUT BIRTHDAYS

Supplies
Stamps- Soft Wings Butterfly (PB); Friendship (PB)
Inks- Tuxedo Black Memento; Brushos- Turquoise, Emerald Green
Paper- heavy white cs (local store)
Accessories and Tools- MISTI; piercing tool; paintbrush; fineline black marker

28 comments:

nancy littrell said...

TFS your gorgeous watercoloured butterfly card, Karen. I love your little touches and your detailed description on how you watercoloured your image with your Brushos. Your paper piercing and drawn line made my eye go right to your butterfly and then to your sentiment. Hugs my friend.

Glennis F said...

A beautiful card, I have not thought of using my brushos in this way

Aquarius said...

Brilliant butterfly and I like the way it just goes off the edge - so much more interesting than in the centre

Christine Alexander said...

I still haven't tried painting with my brushos, this is just what I need to get me going:) Your butterfly is really beautiful with the mixing of the colours.

Mac Mable said...

The pierced frame does bring your eye into that beautiful butterfly...great technique too x

Dortesjs said...

great card, love your butterflie and the piecing frame.

Papercraft Boutique said...

Beautifully butterfly with diluted Brushos, Karen! The pierced lines are effective. Thank you so much for the link to your detailed tutorial. I want to try it someday! Hideko

Loll said...

Your brushos butterfly is so pretty Karen!! Love the pierced border and lined sentiment. xx

Pat said...

A gorgeous butterfly painted with your Brushos Karen. I love the pierced square and the added black line either side of your sentiment, both great design ideas. x

Bonnie said...

What a gorgeous butterfly, my friend! I love the way the Brushos color this butterfly! Love the dots around it that add a simple but effective embellishment!

Annie said...

That's a fun technique for rubber stamping watercolors. I like that you've placed your design off the edge too.

SD pooja said...

It beautiful ,I too loved the pierced border and the pianted ,off the edge butterfly creates a interesting focal point !

brenda said...

One of my favourite PB Butterflies and loving the colours as well, many thanks for joining us at Penny Black and More this month.

B x

KarinsArtScrap said...

beautiful butterflie and card Karen
Gr Karin

Created by Kath said...

Stunning card! Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday!

Cara said...

Beautiful butterfly, love the brushos used like this, just stunning x

Anonymous said...

such a pretty butterfly image used in a creative way at the edge of the paper with a lovely blue border. thank you so much for playing along with us at the penny black and more challenge.
linda

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

I DO Love your cards Karen, they are the kind I would love to create, but haven't a clue how to start. A Beautiful card.
Faith
x

Penny Hanuszak said...

Karen your cards are so beautifully painted and laid out. I love that Penny Black image and you did a bang up job of watercolouring it. Thanks for sharing your card at the Watercooler Wednesday challenge this week.

Cazro said...

Wonderful card, great use of Brushos. Thanks for sharing your creation with us at Alphabet Challenges. Caz DT.

Gail said...

Such a beautfiful butterfly. Love that painting technique. Thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday.

libbystamps said...

What a lovely butterfly! Stunning how it's colored! Thank you for joining us this week at Watercooler Wednesday!

Heidi Weaver said...

Hi Karen, what a perfect technique for this butterfly. I love the way the colours "melt" together. Great idea adding that pierced square around it. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.

Unknown said...

Breathtakingly beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing! It took me about 2 minutes to go to PB and bought this stamp (and I usually just don't do that...). Yipeee, thank you so much!!! Just gorgeous!..oh, what colors of Brushos did you use? I haven't tried that yet...of course now I will, smile!

Emma said...

Love the butterfly, thank you for joining us at The Alphabet Challenge for our ‘I for Insects’ Challenge, hope to see you again. Emma DT x

Kiwigirl said...

Thank you for sharing. The butterfly is beautiful. I haven't used my powders much yet but now I'll have to try this

Leanne Harris said...

I love this Karen, I'm all for a bit of watercolour, paint, ink - well, any messy technique really and this has worked brilliantly with your brushos. Many people don't have the confidence to work with paint but this is great - well done! Thank you for sharing this with us at Penny Black and More and using the PB stamp so effectively, Leanne DT xx

Mervi said...

Gorgeous card, love the butterfly stamp.
Thank you for sharing your creativity over at Penny Black and more Challenge;-))m