Saturday 2 March 2019

Special Friend- CAS Watercolour Challenge

Welcome.
I can't believe it's March already but you know what that means!  
Time for another fun theme at the 


This month our theme is to watercolour onto Vellum.
We have 2 great guest designers this month- 


I have to begin by saying that vellum is not one of my go-to mediums but it was fun to try something different for a change and I was glad to have some on hand to use.

So, I began with a piece of vellum, placed it inside my Misti to help hold it securely and positioned my leaves ready to stamp with.  I coloured my leaves with my Tombow markers, sprayed with water and pressed onto my vellum.  I will caution you, adding too much water will warp your piece of vellum and it is good if you can firmly secure it down to your surface in some way to help prevent that.  
I used a variety of blues and greens to colour my leaves then set aside to dry.
While that dried, I stamped the banner with the sentiment using my Misti, then fussy cut it out.  It needed something more, so using some black acrylic paint, I splattered using a wet paintbrush.
I also die-cut a frame that fit around my piece of vellum and glued it all together.
The framed vellum was pop dotted for interest as was the banner.


Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

Adding my card to these challenges:
CAS on Friday- USE VELLUM
Craft Stamper Magazine- ANYTHING STAMPED GOES
Simon Says Wed.- ANYTHING GOES


Supplies 
Stamps- Special Friends (Penny Black); Autumn Leaves (WPlus 9)
Inks- Tuxedo Black Memento; Tombow Markers
Paper- vellum; heavy white (Scribes Nook)
Accessories and Tools- Misti (My Sweet Petunia); bl acrylic paint; Mister (TH); 
Stitched frame (MFT); pop dots

17 comments:

Bonnie said...

Your leaves are beautiful, Karen! Love these soft, spring colors! The black splatters add wonderful contrast to the soft colors and what a wonderful banner!

Christine Alexander said...

supper cool effect using the Tombow markers Karen. Love the card :)

Cat Craig said...

The colors are so soothing on this piece. So calming and beautiful.

Aileen said...

Looks amazing I love it totally Karen. An idea to try I think.

Mac Mable said...

Yes I felt the same about vellum too Karen....The technique on your card has turned out beautifully and such a delicate and pretty effect. The design and the wispy colours of the greens look fabulous x.

Ros Crawford said...

I've never tried stamping on vellum like this but the effect you got makes me want to give it a go! Beautiful card! Thanks so much for having me along with you this week!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Oh! this is beautiful, I love the mix of the greens and blues and that banner is fab so is the frame.
Faith
x

Pat said...

This is really eyecatching Karen, and I love the different greens on the varied leaf shapes, and so pretty and softer looking on the vellum. x

Marcia Hill said...

This turned out so pretty Karen and I love just the hint of blue with all the greens! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

Papercraft Boutique said...

Such beautiful leaves in refreshing greens and blues, Karen! You did a fantastic job of giving the image a watercolor look without vellum warping! I love that you spattered the black acrylic paint as a finishing touch.
Hideko xx

Nora Noll said...

Another beautiful card!! I LOVE that you watercolored on vellum!! So, so pretty!!

My Paper Epiphany said...

So, so beautiful! I love the colours so much and it looks very dreamy!

Susan said...

Love those fresh green leaves! It may not be one of your go-to mediums, but you did a great job watercolouring on the vellum. The black splatter is a great finishing touch.

Loll said...

Gorgeous card Karen. Your watercoloured leaves turned out so well on the vellum. Love the variety of colours and how you've layered them to create lots of depth. xx

debby4000 said...

Beautiful watercolour card.
Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
luv
Debby

Robyn Oliver said...

Lovely card Karen, great misty effect you achieved stamping on the vellum

Linda said...

Vellum isn't one of my favourite surfaces to use but after seeing these results I may just give it a try. Your card is beautiful. I love the softness of the leaves. Thank you for playing along with the Craft Stamper challenge xx