Saturday 16 June 2018

A Day at the Beach- CAS Watercolour Challenge

Hello and Welcome.  
Meet today's card.  Time for another one for the 
Our theme this month is 'ocean'.

Be sure to check out the inspiring works from our DT's and our Guest this month.


So onto my card details.
First, I took some Post-it Tape and tore it to use as a mask along the edges of my card front.  By tearing the tape, it gave me an irregular edge when removed from around the inked background.  Then, using my Distress Oxide inks, I applied ink using my 'acetate inking' technique.  I started with the blue at the top and then added some brown for the sand at the bottom by rubbing the ink onto a sheet of acetate and spraying with water to apply the ink. 
When it was dry, I stamped the shells in the corner and the dots were done by pressing the end of my paintbrush handle onto my ink pad.  Leaving the masks in place, I sponged the edges with more DOX to help complete the scene.
I die-cut the seagulls and glued them over the inky bkg.

I'll be giving this one to my husband for Father's Day.


Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.
Hope you will come and play along with us.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Simon Says Wed.- FRAME IT
(I used tape to mask and frame up my scene)
Daisy Chain- MEN/BOYS
Simple Create Too- FOR A MALE
Supplies
Stamps- By the Sea 2 (Gina K)
Inks- Salty Ocean, Peacock Feathers, Blueprint Sketch Distress Oxides (TH); 
Antique Linen Distress (TH)
Paper- heavy white (local store)
Accessories and Tools- Misti; Post-it tape; acetate sheet, Mister (TH); Birds in Flight (Memory Box); inking tool (Ranger)

24 comments:

Karen Dunbrook said...

Thanks so very much for the visit, so appreciated.

Mac Mable said...

Wonderful water coloured scene and the technique looks fabulous. The edges of the torn post it notes leave a wonderful artsy and irregular edge which is fabulous. Your husband will cherish this x

SmilynStef said...

Love this ... so pretty.

Bonnie said...

What a beautiful ocean background, Karen! You have perfected that acetate technique! Love the stamped shells and the gulls flying overhead! This really leaves me with a feeling of being at the beach!

Loll said...

Gorgeous ocean scene Karen. Love how you've created the shades of blue in waves with your acetate inking technique. And love the sand with the subtle stamped shells. Fantastic design that depicts a peaceful, serene day at the beach! xx

Christine Alexander said...

gorgeous Karen, such a beautiful peaceful ocean scene

aussie aNNie said...

Beauty on a card, Karen, lovely use of the acetate technique.xx

nancy littrell said...

The perfect CAS style card for the "Ocean" Challenge, Karen. Your husband is going to love his card...and want to go to the beach:-) Love your sand, ocean, stamped shells and die cut sea birds. TFS my friend. Hugs..

KarinsArtScrap said...

so beautifullll Karen
Gr Karin

Janet a.k.a. swanlady21 said...

Love your sea background ... such a wonderful atmosphere.

crafty-stamper said...

Great watercolour ackground and love the die-cut seagulls---Thank you for joining us at Daisy Chain
Carol DT x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wonderful CAS beach scene. I love the watercolor design too.

Jeanne H said...

Indeed, this could be framed. Wonderful card.

Pat said...

This is so pretty and atmospheric Karen and I love the shells amongst the sand, and the white seagulls stand out really well. x

Ellen said...

Great card, well done! Thanks for joining us at Daisy Chain Challenges.

groetjes, Ellen

Susan said...

"Ocean" is definitely a perfect theme for seagulls on a card - love the way they are swooping over the beautiful background of sea and sand. Also love the extra interest your tone on tone shells give to it.

Marcia Hill said...

LOVE how your background turned out Karen, and your simple white sea gulls and the shells were all that were needed for this FABULOUS card...CAS perfection!! :0)

Karin Åkesdotter said...

Your card is so beautiful. LOVE your watercolor bg and your CAS design! !!! Thank you so much for playing along with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge! /Karin

Robyn Oliver said...

Fabulous 'ocean' card Karen, love that you tore the post it to get the irregular edge and I think I'll be putting some seagull dies on my wish list....love your card.

BożenA said...

Your card is a beautiful inspiration for us. I love how you created the sky with a watercolor streaking technique. Beautiful, very realistic.
BożenA xx

Annick said...

He'll be over the moon with a nice card like this !

samantha's cards said...

Fabulous card, thanks for playing along with us at Simply Create

sweet art designs said...

Simple, yet elegant. Thank you for sharing with us at Simply Create Too - Myrna DT

Daria said...

Beautiful card! Thank you for sharing the details.