Tuesday 2 October 2018

Gather- CAS Watercolour Challenge

Hello and welcome friends.
So glad you came to visit as it's time for another new theme at the 
We have a colour challenge for you this month which is perfect for this time of year.


This month we are also celebrating our Second Birthday with prizes to be won!
This month we also welcome our Guest Brenda from Friends Craftin with Friends. 


You have to check out the beautiful cards made by our Creative Team.


So onto my card.
I decided to create a Fall card for Thanksgiving which is coming up this weekend for us here in Canada.  So I began by masking my card front with some Post It Tape as I wanted to be left with a wide white border.
Next, I gave a light spray of water to my card front, then I used the Inking With Tape Technique to add colour to my background using my orange Distress Oxide inks.  By spraying my paper with water first, it helped all the colour blend together giving a watercolour look.
I placed the dried piece into my Misti and stamped the sentiment in dark brown then clear embossed it to help it pop (sorry it looks black) and then inked and sprayed on some water to the leaves using some more green and more of the dark brown.  
When stamping with DOX inks, you are left with a chalky looking background.  So to bring out the richness of the colours, I rubbed some Distress Glaze over the whole thing to bring the colours to life.  The glaze is like a wax that you rub on and then buff off.  Love how it worked.
I removed the tape used to mask and mounted it onto a plain white card base.



Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.
Hope you will come and play along with us.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Little Red Wagon- FALLING LEAVES
The Male Room- THE GREAT OUTDOORS
Simon Says Wed.- ANYTHING GOES



Supplies
Stamps- Gather (Impression Obsession)= Leaf Prints (TH)
Inks- Distress Oxides (Spiced Marmalade, Carved Pumpkin, Lucky Clover, Aged Mahogany)
Paper- heavy white (Scribes Nook)
Accessories and Tools- Misti (My Sweet Petunia)= Post It Tape= painter's tape= Mister (TH)


16 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow, I love how you did this Karen! This is just beautiful! Such fun colors and a fun Thanksgiving card. I will have to check into this technique as I am loving the look. Love how you got your bright colors back with using the Oxides, someone said hairspray works too. Don't know, haven't tried it, but I sure love the brighter look. Nice being in the challenge with you! Hugs, Brenda

Loll said...

The colours on your card are gorgeous, Karen. Bright shades of green and orange with some brown to give lots of depth. I have to get some of the glaze, it really does bright out the brightness of the DOX inks. LOVE your sweet sentiment. xx

Bonnie said...

Beautiful, bright fall colors, Karen! Wow! Love that sentiment too! That's what's so special about Thanksgiving, gathering of loved ones and recognizing our blessings! Happy Thanksgiving to you, my friend!

Pat said...

Such bright and beautiful colours ussing the Inking with Tape technique to apply the colour which looks great Karen, and love the pretty leaves and then topped with that great sentiment. The perfect Thanksgiving card, gorgeous. x

Kate said...

Beautiful card! Thanks for sharing your technique too! I love the chalky look!

Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon this week!

Kate
Small Bits of Paper

Christine Alexander said...

I really do have to pull out my tape, I keep seeing all these wonderful backgrounds you make. Gorgeous Card and such beautiful fall colours.

kiwimeskreations said...

Stunning card Karen - love the colours you have used, and the over-stamped leaves are wonderful
Blessings
Maxine

Mac Mable said...

Unique and fabulous effect on your amazing card. Loving the techniques and those glorious colours. Thank you for the tip about the glaze x

Papercraft Boutique said...

What an interesting way of coloring, Karen! Thank you for sharing the link of how you did it!
The colors are gorgeous and I love all the beautiful blend of the fall colors! The clear heat-embossed dark brown sentiment really pops.
Hideko xx

Bobby said...

Fall is my favorite time of year because of all the wonderful colors the leaves turn. You've displayed those colors in a unique way with your fabulous techniques, Karen.

nancy littrell said...

Love your wet and watercolored with tape Fall DOX colors background, Karen. Adding your Distress Glaze really brings out the beautiful colors. Adding your stamped images and sentiment were the perfect additions to your masked main image. TFS your card and all your tips, my friend. Happy Thanksgiving a little early. Love and Hugs...Nancy

Jane said...

Absolutely stunnng. Love all your glorious Autumn colours and leaves. Thanks for playing at The Male Room.

Marcia Hill said...

LOVE this card Karen!! Your colors look so vibrant and this card definitely says Autumn!! And what a perfect sentiment too to use for a Thanksgiving card...love it!! I've had a container of the Oxide Glaze for at least 6 months (maybe longer!) and never used it yet...think I need to get on the bandwagon! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

My Paper Epiphany said...

Fabulous results with this unique technique! I must give this a try and I definitely need to check out the glaze!

Deborah Frings said...

Wow! This is wonderful. Love the rich, warm colours you've used for the autumn leaves background. Great work. Thanks so much for playing along with our challenge at The Male Room. Deborah. DT.

Susan said...

A very late comment from me - I'm just catching up with commenting on all the CAS DT cards I missed while on vacation! Love the way you did the background and then added the green and brown leaves on top! I must investigate that Distress Glaze as I like the way you brought out the Oxide colours.