Saturday 31 July 2021

All Natural


Welcome

Meet today's card.
As I had mentioned, I have been making some sympathy cards to have on hand.  As it turns out, I now need a few and they are not fun to make at the time.  
This was a very simple one to create using a leaf found in my backyard.
This type of printing is called 'Cyanotype'.  I just love the results you can get.
(for more cards like this, go HERE and HERE)

So here's what I did to create my card.
  • I began with a piece of white cardstock.  I got out my Gel Plate and my Distress Oxide inks.
  • I pressed some Rustic Wilderness and Evergreen Bough DOX onto my Gel Plate and blended with my brayer. I like to leave a bit of space between them as not to contaminate the pads with the other colour.
  • I placed the leaves from my garden onto the plate and then rubbed a piece of paper over the top of it.  I lifted the paper partially from the plate, then lifted the leaves off and rubbed the paper down again.  **Normally when lifting a print, you would take the whole piece of paper off the Gel Plate after rubbing it down and you would be left with a white out area where the leaf was.  Using this method of printing gives you the whole image printed onto your paper.....hope that makes sense!!**
  • I let the print dry and then using my finger, I rubbed some white acrylic paint along the edges to add a bit of a distressed look.
  • I set that aside and worked on the panel you can see behind the print.  I didn't have any cardstock to mount the print onto; all my green cardstock pieces didn't work as they were the wrong shades of green, so I decided to make my own.  I did that by using the same colours mentioned above.  I added ink with a blending brush and then splattered with lots of water to lift the colour and add interest.  


  • I placed the leaf print into my Misti and stamped the sentiment with some Versafine Clair ink. 
  • I splattered the print with my black and white Posca pens to add some detail.
  • I glued the print onto the inked panel and then onto a heavy white card base.

Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Simon Says Wed.- ANYTHING GOES
ModSquad- SYMPATHY

Stamps
Stamps- Scripted Bold Sentiments (Pinkfresh Studios)
Inks- Distress Oxides (mentioned above); Versafine Clair Noir
Paper- heavy white (Scribes Nook-Waterloo, Ontario)
Accessories and Tools- Gel Plate; brayer; leaf from garden; TE Blending Brushes; black and white Posca pens

12 comments:

Sarn said...

Beautiful print (I understood the process!) . . .making a beautiful card.
xxx

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Gorgeous result Karen and so clever.
Faith x

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful Karen, the leaf makes a perfect sympathy card ♥

Barbara Joyce said...

Karen, thank you for creating such beautiful cards and then taking the time to tell us--step by step--how we can use the same techniques. This is gorgeous!

Terry Ricioli Designs said...

This is a fun technique. I find it a little tricky to hold up the paper and pull out the leaf, but I'm having fun with it.

Glennis F said...

Thanks for sharing how you made the print, that is quite lovely

SherylH said...

What a gorgeous print! Thanks for explaining how you achieved this effect.

cuilliesocks said...

Just so beautiful Karen, I love your design and colours, Kate x

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your print makes for a beautiful sympathy card design.

Mac Mable said...

I am definitely going to find the time to try this out as it looks amzing...as is your card Karen x. Sorry you had to make some sympathy cards x.

kiwimeskreations said...

A fabulous card Karen - just a pity that you actually needed it ...
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Tammy said...

WOW this is amazing, I love how you used a leaf from your background, it makes a gorgeous print!
Tammy x