Sunday 24 May 2020

Abstract Snowflake


Welcome!
Meet today's card.
I thought having this time off was a good chance to get started on creating some Christmas cards.  
But I'm just having a bit of trouble getting into that mind set since Spring has just arrived and we finally have some warm temperatures.

As I have mentioned in some of my previous posts, being off work has given me time to play more with my supplies.  I've been making some backgrounds with my Geli Plate.  When using a Gel Plate, you need to brayer off some of the excess paint to give a thin layer.  I always like to keep some extra pieces of cardstock nearby to roll off my brayer and this bkg. is one of those.  It is messy but still interesting with all the different colours of paint brayered onto it and I thought it would make a good back drop for my snowflake.

So, I placed the painted background into my Misti, inked up the snowflake from the Colorado Stamp Company with some Versamark ink, stamped and white heat embossed.  I repositioned my background in my Misti and stamped it again just moving my panel over a bit, with some blue Distress ink.  It created a shadow effect that I love.
As the white embossing will create a resist, I used a dry cloth to wipe away the excess DI over the snowflake.  
I stamped the sentiment using my Misti with some black ink and clear heat embossed it.
Lastly, I splattered using my white paint.


Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.
Hope you are all safe and well.

Supplies
Stamps- Warm Wishes Snowflake (Colorado Stamp)
Inks- Versamark; Versafine Clair; Mermaid Lagoon DI 
Paper- heavy white (Scribes Nook)
Accessories and Tools- Misti (My Sweet Petunia); brayer, acrylic paint; white eb powder; 


15 comments:

Susan said...

Fabulous card, Karen! Love the multi-coloured background and also the way you created a shadow for the snowflake with the blue Distress ink. A very artsy card!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Karen this is gorgeous! I love every detail of it.

I Card Everyone said...

These cool colors are the perfect backdrop for your icy snowflake, Karen! WOW this is so cool!
=]

Dotty Jo said...

Another amazing card, Karen! The image has great depth because you re-positioned the stamp and stamped again, Jo x

Aquarius said...

Beautiful snowflake, just right on that coloured background

Bonnie said...

A wonderful use of that background, Karen! It's perfect for this gorgeous shadowed snowflake!

Pat said...

A wonderful result Karen and shows the worth of keeping such pieces as you never know when they might be useful, and this has worked beautifully. I love the large white snowflake with the blue shadow, and the spattering and sentiment finish it perfectly. x

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful Karen, the roll offs are such artsy background. Love the card :)

aussie aNNie said...

This is so beautiful and love the most gorgeous colours. x

cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous Karen, beautifully designed and coloured, fabulous background, Kate x x

Mac Mable said...

Karen this is a showstopper. It is artsy, unique and amazing and love the oversize snowflake and the unconventional colours x. Well done you on making a start with Christmas cards x.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

WOW! I LOVE the effect you have achieved with the snowflake, I love the background, you are so creative.
Take care
Faith x

stephanie said...

Beautiful I just purchased this stamp hope I can come close to what you did.

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful card Karen - I honestly thought that the snowflake was 3-D until I read how you had created the shadow!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

TLady said...

I commented & favored this one on SCS! BUT, thought I'd also leave you a comment here on your blog too! THIS ONE IS GORGEOUS, Karen!!! STRIKING & I LOVE IT!!! OH, to do work like this would be WONDERFUL!!! JUST GORGEOUS!!! HUGS!!! ;)<3