Sunday 28 March 2021

Wee One- Sanded Embossed Background


Hello and Welcome

It's my turn to host the TLC Challenge (Technique Lovers) over at Splitcoast Stampers.
I like to try and think of some challenges that would be accessible to everyone and this is the one I came up with.  
I've been going through my background pieces that have been inked or painted that I haven't used for cards or that I just went 'yuck' after I was done.  You know those scenarios don't you?
Well instead of throwing them away, I put them in a bin and keep them for die cutting or for who knows what.  That is how this card started off.....and I watched a video by Jennifer McGuire a few weeks ago too so that helped.  

So here's what I did to create my card.
  • I went through my bin of discarded backgrounds and found this one that was blue and green.  Since I wanted to make a generic baby card, I figured this one might work.  It was a blue and green paint roll off from one of my Gel Plate printing sessions.  (For those unfamiliar with a Gel Plate, you roll paint or ink onto it with a brayer.  Many times, while rolling smooth with a brayer, there is too much paint, so to remove some of it I roll it onto scrap paper.  I keep those scraps for future whatever.)
  • I placed the painted piece into my Cozy Knit embossing folder and ran it through my Cuttlebug to emboss.  I removed the piece and then used a piece of sandpaper to remove the ink from all the high points of the embossing.  It totally transformed the look of the background.  (I wish I would have taken a picture of the before and after....especially since I hated the before!)  I set that aside.
  • Next, I die cut the scalloped circle using a Spellbinder die and placed that into my Misti.  I stamped the Baby Bunny from Impression Obsession with some Versafine Clair Noir ink.  I clear heat embossed it as I wanted to watercolour the bunny and the embossing helps contain the wet ink. 
  • Using some Peacock Feathers and some Cracked Pistachio Distress Oxide inks, I watercoloured in the bunny.  I just press the ink pad directly onto my Tim Holtz Glass mat, spray with water to dilute and use a paint brush to add colour.
  • Next, I stamped the sentiment from the Little One Animals from Photoplay onto some white and fussy cut it out.
  • I glued the sanded background onto a piece of white cardstock, then onto a heavy white card base.
  • I pop dotted the scalloped bunny circle over the background, the glued the sentiment banner over the circle.
 

Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.
I hope you get a chance to try it out.

Adding my card to these challenges:
Simon Says Wed.- SPRING/EASTER MOOD BOARD
The Crafting Challenge- PASTEL COLOURS


Supplies
Stamps- Baby Bunny (IO); Little One Animals (Photoplay)
Inks- Versafine Clair Noir; Distress Oxides
Paper- heavy white (Scribes Nook-Waterloo, Ont.)
Accessories and Tools- Cozy Knit eb folder (Fun Stampers Journey); Cuttlebug, sandpaper;
acrylic paint (Dollar Tree); pop dots; Scalloped circle die- Spellbinders; paintbrush; TH glass mat;
Misti (My Sweet Petunia), clear eb powder (Wow)

12 comments:

Christine Alexander said...

the sanded effect looks amazing Karen :)

Sarn said...

You sure made a lovely card from a discarded and (originally) disliked background! Congrats! X

Bunny said...

This is so cute and I love that baby bunny. [Bunny]

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

Absolutely adorable and beautiful too, well done on the rescue.
Faith x

Verna Angerhofer said...

This is amazingly beautiful now.

cuilliesocks said...

A beautiful card Karen, a sweet image and a great design, lovely background and colours too, Kate x

Dreja said...

Wow, das ist super! Gefällt mir.
Danke für deine Teilnahme bei den Animal Friends.
LG Dreja

Bonnie said...

What a wonderful save, Karen! Something to remember for those yucky backgrounds in my box! Thanks for the inspiration, my friend!

Pat said...

It just goes to show it is always worth keeping your scrap pieces a this is so pretty with the sanded back embossing, and love the added sweet little to welcome a new baby. A wonderful card Karen and another great technique. x

Susan said...

Just when I was thinking that I'd throw out a bunch of my backgrounds, you come up with this great idea to use some of them. I must give it a try. I love how your background turned out! And such an adorable little bunny!

Mac Mable said...

Great use of the background and great save. Such a colourful and super cute card Karen x.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Omygosh, Karen, I was wondering the second I saw that background how you did it. Yes, after reading how you did it, I can imagine how excited you were to see the change! Hoppy Easter to you! xoxo