Sunday 15 May 2016

Anything is Possible



Good Morning.

Before I get into my card details, I want to give mention to my wonderful friend Loll Thompson and her talents.  She has made me this fantastic blog header using pictures of my cards.  Isn't it wonderful and so well done.  She is SUPER talented and just a wonderful, kind friend I have been blessed with to have in my life.
Thanks so very much Loll.  

 Ok, so now onto my card details.
Really trying to venture out of my 'colour comfort zone' with this card.
I have to say, it is fun to experiment though and heck, you will never know unless you try it out right?

This card was inspired by the Tim Holtz flower stamp I just got from Simon Says.  For those of you that know Tim's work (and who in the cardmaking world doesn't) he is into mixed media and darker colours.
So, I wanted to try my hand at some of that today.
I began by stamping my flowers using Colorbox red ink onto my white card stock and embossed it with clear embossing powder.  By doing that, I created a resist for my flowers.
Next, I took my Weathered Wood Distress ink pad and rubbed the pad directly onto my paper until the whole surface was saturated with ink.  I seldom to never use that ink pad so it was a bit scary to see it all greyed down.
I let that dry for a few minutes and gave it a bit of heat with my heat gun to dry the ink, then wiped the excess ink off the flowers using an old rag.  Using the same flower stamp, I sprayed it with water and stamped all over the background.  By using the Distress inks which are water based, I was able to remove some of the ink with my water-sprayed stamp.  It adds kind of a shadow effect, reflection to the background.  To add additional interest, I sprayed the script stamp with water and stamped it the same way along the side.  I love the results.
 

Last step was to stamp the sentiment from Impression Obsession which I also picked up from Simon Says with Versamark ink, then heat embossed it with white powder.  I am such a sucker for sentiments and this one just spoke to me for this card.
Well I hope that all made sense.  It is a bit different then my clean and white background cards.

Adding my card to these challenges:

Simon Says- FLOWERS

Addicted to CAS- MIDNIGHT

Craft Stamper- ANYTHING GOES

The Mixed Media Card Challenge- REFLECTIONS/WATER

CAS Mix Up- STAMPING, HEAT EMBOSSING, OTHER


Thanks so very much for coming by and taking a look.
Hope you get a chance to challenge yourself and try something new. 

Supplies:  stamps- Tim Holtz, Impression Obsession, Penny Black/ink- Colorbox, Versamark, DI/clear and white eb powder/ Mini Mister





23 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Looks fabulous, Jo x

Susanne Vargas said...

Wow! You used a very different color combo today! It looks fabulous! I enjoyed reading about how you made this card! Love the soft background! And your new (blue) blogheader is great! ;)

Loll said...

LOVE your going outside your comfort zone!! Amazing card Karen. Red and gray are so spectacular together. And such great techniques by adding the ghosting or water stamping effect for the background. Very cool. This would work well for CAS Mix Up if you want to link up there. Your header looks great my friend. xx

Melissa L. said...

Beautiful card, Karen. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for playing along at The Mixed Media Card Challenge. You might like to link this up at HLS CASE the Designer too. :)

Lin said...

Gorgeous new look to your blog, Karen - kudos to Loll! And today's card is certainly out of your zone, but I love the results - the background looks a bit like a chalkboard to me, and with that red flower - WOW!!! Thanks for sharing this with us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday "flowers" challenge!

Unknown said...

Karen,
I have been loving your work for a while. Your new blog header is perfect! You constantly inspire me to try new techniques and color combos. Keep it coming!

Glennis F said...

a great result - love it!

My Paper Epiphany said...

Fabulous! I love the bold red and the shadowy background! Great new header too - Loll is very clever. Thanks for joining the fun at the Mixed Media Card Challenge!

Loll said...

Thanks for sharing this beauty with us at CAS Mix UP!! xx

Bonnie said...

Love, love, love your blog header, Karen! It's so perfect and yes, Loll is an amazingly talented friend! She is a blessing to many of us! I love your amazing card! The stamping with water adds an amazing background! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

GORGEOUS card. AND I love your header too.
Faith
x

Susan said...

Karen, this is fabulous - love the way you stepped outside of your comfort zone! The water stamping adds amazing dimension to the background. Your blog header is beautiful - Loll really is such a generous and talented person (she set up my blog for me and taught me how to use it, and she was so patient with my many questions - I'm so lucky to get to know her in person and spend crafty days with her).

Verna Angerhofer said...

Your blog header looks awesome and so does the card you made. I should do something different with mine some day as it is the same ever since I started it. Nice you have such a great friend to help you there.

nancy littrell said...

Gorgeous heat embossed red flowers and beautiful background Karen. I Love your beautiful and creative header designed by Loll using your Works of Art! So cool! Loll walked me thru designing my blog. I could never have had anything as creative without Loll's patience and expertise. Aren't we all so lucky to be friends. TFS your newest artistic beauty my friend. So pleased you could join us again at CAS Mix Up. Hugs, Nancy

Dortesjs said...

love your blog header and your card with embossed flowers

Valentyna Komisarenko said...

Gorgeous creation! Thank you for playing along with ATCAS!

maria f. said...

Fabulous techniques Karen, and oh those COLORS!

Carol L said...

I just love the hint of text in the background on your beautiful card! I love the blog header too - very pretty!

Sarn said...

Fantastic looking blog - Loll is FAB isn't she?

LOVE the look of your card and well done for getting outside your comfort zone xxx

Bhavana said...

Gorgeous card. Thanks for joining us at ATCAS!!

Linda said...

Beautiful card ..... Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

Elina Stromberg said...

Great card with beautiful and bold contrasting colours! ♥
Thank you for playing with us at MMCC. Hoping to see you with us again in June!

Annick said...

stunning card, especially the colour combo makes the card 'pop' !