Thursday 15 November 2018

Birthday Wishes- The Flower Challenge


Good Morning
Time for another card for
The Flower Challenge.

Our theme this month is 'A Special Occasion'.


I created a birthday card for the theme.  I am always in need of cards to celebrate birthdays.
I was playing around with some Canon photo paper and applied some Ranger Alcohol inks to the paper using a piece of plastic wrap.  By scrunching up the plastic wrap, dabbing it into the ink and then onto the paper, you are left with an interesting textured looking background.

I wanted to compare the photo paper to using Yupo.  They both have a shiny surface but with the photo paper, I found the ink didn't move after applied even if I dropped on some Blending Solution or some Rubbing Alcohol.  By using the plastic wrap, I was able to get a mottled look instead of blobs of colour.

I die-cut the scalloped edge frame from Your Next Stamp and the flowers from Poppystamp.
I glued the alcohol inked bkg behind the frame and then added the flowers.  I stamped the sentiment then pop dotted the framed piece over that.


Thanks for coming by and taking a look.


Supplies
Stamps- Happy Birthday (Studio G)
Inks- Wilted Violet Distress (TH)= Ranger Alcohol ink
Paper- heavy white (Scribes Nook)= Canon Photo Paper
Accessories and Tools- Scalloped Stitched Frame (YNS)= Misti (My Sweet Petunia)= 
Meadow Flower die (Poppystamps)= plastic kitchen wrap= pop dots= Cuttlebug

13 comments:

Loll said...

Your background is gorgeous. Love the colours and how the plastic wrap added some visual texture. So perfect with the white die-cut flower and frame. Interesting about the photo paper. You'd think with the slick surface the alcohol inks would move. Thanks for the tip. xx

KarinsArtScrap said...

so beautiful Karen with a fab background

gr karin

TLady said...

Just wanted to come over & tell you that this is SO LOVELY!!! LOVE the blue background you made & the sprigs of flowers in white! ;) LOVELY JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!

cuilliesocks said...

Just beautiful Karen, lovely colours and design, Kate x

Bunny said...

The wrap makes a lovely background. This is beautiful. [Bunny]```

Pat said...

What beautiful colours and a great textured background Karen, and such a pretty scalloped frame and flowers, and the sentiment matches perfectly. x

Christine Alexander said...

Beautiful effect with the scrunched up cling wrap on the photo paper.

Bonnie said...

I LOVE this background, Karen! I have lots of photo paper that came in a little album. I need to try this! The white die cuts look very happy with the background too!

Viv said...

Loving the blue background you made Karen, super idea too!...I have made one in blue also but can't decide what to do with it yet lol.Your white flowers look so good with your background also ;) hugs Viv xx

Susan said...

Gorgeous shades of blue and a wonderful design!

Kim S said...

Beautiful card!! I have always used photo paper with alcohol inks. Yupo is new to me. But what I do, it cut small rectangles of felt and put it on the tim holtz tool. I would put some metallic marker (I used this silver or gold paint type pen) and make dots all over the photo (or glossy)paper. Then I would put on alcohol inks on the felt (2-3 complimentary colors) and just tap it all over, including over the metallic ink. It would give a marble effect and would look so cool. This was the first real "technique" I learned when I started card making approx 15 years ago. So quick and so rich looking. You should give it a try, if you haven't already. I plan to try the plastic wrap technique. Thanks for sharing.

TaeEun said...

The texture on the background is just gorgeous, Karen!!! I have to give the cling wrap technique a try! I have bought photo papers to use with alcohol inks but it was quite disappointing as you said :). Thanks for sharing!

Ericka Strange said...

Great card Karen and I love the blue background so pretty with these flowers. Beautiful job!