Sunday 4 November 2018

Special Occasion- The Flower Challenge


Hello and Welcome
It's time for more fun at 

Our theme this month is 'A Special Occasion'

My special occasion was a wedding we attended.  I wanted to create a special mixed media card for a special couple.  I did lots of layering and was very pleased with the final results.
So here is what I did.

I began with a piece of white cardstock and using a stencil from TCW, I applied some clear Gesso over it and set it aside to dry.
When it was all dry, it was time to apply a few different layers of ink.  I rubbed on some Worn Lipstick, Seedless Preserves, Peeled Paint and a touch of Picked Raspberry Distress Oxide inks using a foam applicator.  I wanted the flowers to be the star of the show, so to mute down the colours a bit, I took some white acrylic paint and rubbed it on using my finger.  I set is aside to dry and got working on my flowers next.
I die-cut the flowers, leaves and branches from white cardstock then using the same colours as mentioned above, I dabbed them into some wet ink I placed onto my non-stick craft mat.  To give them a bit of extra interest, I splattered them with some more white acrylic paint.  
When the bkg was all nice and dry, I laid out the leaves and branches until I liked the configuration, then I glued all the die-cuts in place, layering them to give lots of dimension. 
The white roses made from paper, were purchased at Michaels.  They were very stark white so I rubbed some Worn Lipstick onto them to add just a hint of pink, then glued them over the leaves and branches.  I added some pearls and then pierced around the whole front edge of the panel which really helped to frame it all in.  The sentiment was nestled in beside the flowers.


Thanks so much for coming by and taking a look.
I hope you get a chance to check out the wonderful creations the DT's have made.

Supplies
Stamps- Stampin Up (sorry, don't know the name of the set)
Inks- Distress Oxides (TH)= Tuxedo Black Memento
Paper- heavy white (Scribes Nook)
Accessories and Tools- Media Clear Gesso (Ranger)= Mini Sketch Grid stencil (TCW)=
pearl dots- Sponge applicator (TH)= white acrylic paint= Scrolls Half Edger (PB)= 
Wildflowers 1 & 2 dies (TH)= piercing tool (Ranger)

15 comments:

Susan said...

A truly beautiful card, Karen - and a wonderful example of mixed media too. Thanks for explaining all the steps. Wonderful colours that are quite a change from your usual palette.

Dmorgan said...

Karen, this is one of your most beautiful cards that I've seen! Wow, what a special gift to the couple!

Loll said...

WOW! Amazing card Karen. Wonderful keepsake for the happy couple. I love your layering of stenciling and inks and then muting the colour with white paint. So creative and makes a gorgeous background. The spray of flowers and leaves is just perfect with matching shades of the same colours. Adding just that touch of pink really softens the roses. xx

Pat said...

What a gorgeous card Karen with all the pretty flowers and leaves over that fabulous inked and stencilled backgroud, and love the added pearls. x

nancy littrell said...

Your absolutely Gorgeous mixed media card was a treasured gift to the couple, Karen. I loved the stenciled and inked background and all your beautiful floral layers for your pretty flower spray. The paper roses were such a beautiful touch, especially with your added pink inks. A work of art my friend. TFS your beauty and your step by step creating. Hugs..Nancy

papierelle said...

A very unusual card from you, but she is beautiful with her Vinatgelook.

Mac Mable said...

Love all the layering and texture from your mixed media 'special' card. Wonderful background, loving the colours, the stencil work and then how you muted the colours down to let the glorious flowers and foliage to be the star. Stunning card Karen X

Bonnie said...

This is so special and elegant, Karen! Love the muted background and the beautiful roses!

cuilliesocks said...

A stunning card Karen, I love the design and colours, such beautiful flowers, Kate x

Anke said...

Wonderful card, so lovely ...

Hugs
Anke

Bev Polen said...

Karen, I just saw this marvelous card on SCS! It is a stunning wedding card with the awesome background and gorgeous flowers. I'm sure the recipients were elated with the card!

Viv said...

Such a beautiful Wedding card here Karen, I bet the lovely couple were thrilled with their card too ;) hugs Viv xx

Ericka Strange said...

Beautiful card Karen. Love the background and the flowers are so pretty!

TaeEun said...

This is a masterpiece of mixed media, Karen! So many details on a card!
The down toned colors give the lovely wedding card elegance!

Bobby said...

Your attention to detail is spectacular, Karen. This is such a gorgeous card.